Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Teaching with authority


Jesus went down to Capernaum to teach. He taught in the Synagogue on the Sabbath. The Gospel tells us that all who listened to him "were astonished at his teaching because he spoke with authority."
Can we teach without authority? To teach, we need to be able to speak with authority; but we must also be meek and humble of heart. It is the one thing that Jesus asked us to learn from him. "Come...learn from me that I am meek and humble of heart." It is not easy to combine meekness and humility with authority!
Jesus silenced the unclean spirit who cried out, "you are the Holy One of God." All were amazed and said to one another, "What is there about his word?"
They spread the news of him everywhere in the surrounding region.

Jesus is the Word of God. During my retreat this summer, I could not get past the Prologue of John's Gospel. I just felt that I had to keep going back to it in prayer.
"In the beginning was the Word;
And the Word was with God;
And the Word was God.
He was in the beginning with God.
All things came to be through him.
Without him, nothing came to be....
He was in the world and the world did not know him.
He came to his own people and they did not accept him...


This is from memory and I have no doubt mixed two translations but these are lines that spoke to me besides "And the Word was made flesh" and "of His fullness we have all received."

No comments: