Search This Blog

Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Day 2009 - Feast of Mary, Mother of God




Today we begin a new year and it is good to begin it with this Feast that honors Mary as Mother of God. May she be with us each day during this new year.
It is a time to look forward and to plan to renew ourselves where we see we need to change. I will continue to try to live in gratitude and joy, but have added transparency with God, myself, and others. I thought I was very open and straightforward, but the more I reflect on that little word "transparency", the more I realize that I try to hide, forget, ignore, some areas of my life. Now I want to shed light even in the darkest corners and pray for that transparency that will reflect God's light and love.
The Gospel today is the story of the shepherds who found Mary and Joseph and the Infant lying in a manger...They made known the message that had been told them about this child. "And Mary kept all these things reflecting on them in her heart."

We, too, are called to reflect in our hearts today about these things. As we begin a new year, we are like the shepherds who found Jesus and "returned glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen..."

I read this excerpt from the writings of Mother Seton, the first native-born saint of the United States; she said: "We must be careful to meet our grace." As we begin this new year, grace is waiting for us. Each day we must be careful to "meet our grace." What joy to think that grace is waiting for each of us today!!

No comments: