Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

More Books for Spiritual Reading


Spiritual reading is to nourish our souls. There are so many good books out there. The truth is that when you find a book that really nourishes you, just stop and stay with it. I like to read the entire book and then go back and start a slower reading, take time to savor certain passages, underline them, and then maybe I keep going back to the same book for a long time; other books get put back on the shelf and then suddenly seem to come alive and I pick them up finding God on each page and wonder why these books did not speak to me before - books fit the needs of our souls and so we put some away only to find that later it is nourishing us more than we could imagine!

One such book is Love Poems from God: Twelve Sacred Voices from the East and West. This is not a new book having been published in 2002, but it is rather new for me and I have found it one I now keep picking up. I must add it now to my list in this blog.

Jose Hobday, recently deceased, has a delightful book called Stories of Awe and Abundance This book contains many of the stories that Jose used in talks or I read elsewhere, but what a joy to find 49 wisdom stories in the same little book. We are suggesting this book as a way to understand something of the native American spirituality, but anyone would enjoy reading Sister Jose Hobday,OSF.

No comments: