Search This Blog

Monday, August 10, 2009

God loves a cheerful giver


St. Paul tells us that "Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each must do as already determined, without sadness or compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

We know this but how often we forget? I may find myself doing something as small as emptying the dishwasher. Do I do it with joy? I hope so for I need to seize these small opportunities to be a cheerful giver. Of course, I know that God loves me anyway but it pleases God to see us cheerful. He wants us to enjoy life!
In the Gospel, Jesus reminds us that "unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains just a grain of wheat; but if it dies, it produces much fruit." I want to produce fruit so need to practice dying to self. Jesus also said, "I have chosen you to bear fruit..."

No comments: