Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2010

Diamond Jubilee


Yesterday I had the most incredible experience. Since I entered the Society of the Sacred Heart sixty years ago, the Archdiocese celebrated my diamond jubilee!! It was a surprise for me as I am concentrating this year on celebrating a Golden Julilee on February 8 with a Mass at the University where I can renew the vows I made fifty years ago to serve God in the Society of the Sacred Heart until death by obedience, poverty, and chastity... - and now I had this incredible, beautiful liturgy in the Cathedral with two bishops and several priests and a wonderful choir...There were just three of us celebrating diamond jubilees; the other Sister was on a walker and we had orchid corsages! I was chosen to bring the hosts up at the offertory. I just was so moved during the liturgy and kept hearing Jesus say to me, "Let me love you." After the liturgy there was a marvelous banquet of several courses all served perfectly and the food presentation was so artistic we could have been in a five star hotel instead of the parish hall.
I am still thanking the Lord for the wonderful celebration but especially for the fact that I have been able to serve him in the Society of the Sacred Heart for 60 years - years so full of grace. Please help me thank!

5 comments:

"Liz" K. M. Dougherty said...

Conratulations Sister Helen. Thanks again for your wonderful and inspiratonal, blogging. By the way, thanks for the recommendation of Nancy Kehoe's book which I got after reading your post 2 or 3 weeks ago. I am also a psychotherapist (MSW, LCSW-C) and was encouraged to be more fully aware of my patients' spiritual strengths as well as my own.
Blessings,
Liz Martin Dougherty - Newton '62

Anonymous said...

Helen, it is a real pleasure to be able to rejoice with you about this wonderful celebration of all those years in the Society. I am grateful too that you are there and are such a blessing to so many of us. Thank you for all the gifts and joys you share with us here in your blog and in the many ways you gift yourself and show forth the love of the Heart of Jesus. Jane.

Helen said...

Dear Liz and Jane,
Thank you for your comments. I am still floating after the ceremony last night. I came home so wide awake and so grateful for the gift of the past 60 years in the Society! I wrote a little account of it this morning and hope to send it around as "my cup runneth over"!

Yvette Fuentes said...

Dear Sister Helen,
Congratulations on your Diamond Jubilee! Thank you for sharing this beautiful experience with us. You are a blessing and an inspiration to those of us who read your blog and for those of us who've had the chance to meet you in person.
Peace & Prayers,
Yvette

moira said...

All the very best of wishes, Sister Helen, and congratulations! I am so happy that you had such a beautiful celebration yesterday!

Much love,
Moira