Search This Blog

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Third Sunday After Easter




The Gospel for the third Sunday after Easter begins:

The two disciples recounted what had taken place on the way,
and how Jesus was made known to them 
in the breaking of bread.

While they were still speaking about this,
he stood in their midst and said to them,
“Peace be with you.”
But they were startled and terrified
and thought that they were seeing a ghost.
Then he said to them, “Why are you troubled?
And why do questions arise in your hearts?
Look at my hands and my feet, that it is I myself.
Touch me and see, because a ghost does not have flesh and bones
as you can see I have.”
And as he said this,
he showed them his hands and his feet.


The two disciples told the others that they had met Jesus on their way and He had been made known to them in the breaking of the bread.
Jesus then comes and stands their in their midst and they are terrified. Jesus asks them, "Why are you troubled?" I love the way Jesus tries to convince them that it is really himself. He shows them his wounds and invites them to touch him and see...
We are invited to receive Jesus into our hearts and He is present there in a special way in the Eucharist. We just need to believe and accept the gift of the Risen Jesus who continues to say to us, "Peace be with you."

No comments: