Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Spy Wednesday


Jesus was executed. He did not simply die, the authorities killed him. But first he was betrayed by one of his own.
Today is called "Spy Wednesday" because Judas, on this day, according to Matthew's Gospel, "went to the chief priests and said, 'What are you willing to give me if I hand him over to you?' They gave him thirty pieces of silver." Matthew tells us that "from that time on he looked for an opportunity to hand him over."
This is not a spur-of-the-moment betrayal; Judas plotted to have Jesus arrested, to hand him over. Jesus knew it and gave Judas the opportunity to repent at the beginning of the Passover meal. But Judas hardened his heart.
How often have I betrayed Jesus?

This verse from Psalm 69 in today's Liturgy always moves me:
"Insult has broken my heart, and I am weak,
I looked for sympathy, but there was none;
for consolers, not one could I find."


May we be with Jesus to console him by our love and ask forgiveness for the times we have betrayed him, for the times we have left him alone, for the times we have failed to console him.

No comments: