Search This Blog

Monday, March 10, 2008

Trust God; God is merciful


Mother Janet Erskine Stuart,RSCJ, said: "God has never found fault with anyone for trusting too much and expecting too much of God."

The above quote was in the Virtual Community of Prayer service for the Fifth Sunday of Lent. My community used it for our own Sunday evening prayer and I am still mulling over this quotation. Jesus trusted his Father. He knew the Father would hear him and he gives thanks to his Father before telling Lazarus to come out of the tomb. He had utter trust in the power given to him by his Father.

Today's Responsorial Psalm is Psalm 23 with the response: "Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side." The whole Psalm is a call to trust for the Lord is my shepherd.

The Gospel (John 8:1-11) has the Pharisees trying to trap Jesus. They bring a woman caught in adultery and tell Jesus that the law says to stone her. Jesus does not reply to them, but bends down and writes on the ground with his finger. He finally says: "Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." He continues to write in the dust and they went away one by one. What did Jesus write? Did each man read his own sin and slink away? Jesus is left alone with the woman and tells her that he does not condemn her but says, "Go and from now on do not sin any more."

Lord, help me today, not to judge others; help me to trust you in everything!

No comments: