Search This Blog

Monday, May 19, 2008

Faith and Humility


"I do believe, help my unbelief!"

In today's Gospel (Mark 9: 14-29), we have Jesus coming down from the mountain with Peter, James and John; they find a crowd around the other disciples and the scribes are there arguing with them. It seems that the disciples were not able to cast out a mute spirit. Jesus asks that the boy be brought to him. Then he questions the father who says to Jesus, "If you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us." Jesus said, "'If you can!' Everything is possible to one who has faith."
Then the father cried out. "I do believe, help my unbelief!"
Then Jesus ordered the unclean spirit to leave the boy and he took him by the hand and raised him and he stood up. Later he told his disciples when they asked why they could not drive out the spirit, "This kind can only come out through prayer."
I think the faith and humility of the father was the reason- his cry was prayer and we need to make it our prayer!
"I do believe, help my unbelief!"
I am now calling these May Reflections 2008.

No comments: