Search This Blog

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Feast of Corpus Christi


For me, of course, this is the feast of the Body of Christ; for Google it is a lovely town in Texas on the water. I visited there on my way home from Mexico many summers ago when only sixteen! I was visiting a cousin who had seven brothers! It was a fun week and I have great memories of that friendly place.
But, to go back to today's feast, Jesus told us that he is "the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever."

We have been given the gift of the Eucharist so that we may have eternal life. Today's Gospel tells us that "Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. " Jesus also said that he remains in us and we in him. Let us thank for this great gift of the Eucharist. Jesus gives us himself to nourish us! He remains with us!

Today is also the feast of St. Madeleine Sophie who so loved the Eucharist. Here is a quote from her I happened to read today: "Before the Blessed Sacrament, remain in the emptiness that precedes fullness. Renew yourself in the wounds of Jesus Christ, especially his pierced side; that is ours. Afterwards live a renewed life filled with joy."

She also wrote to St. Philippine Duchesne in 1823: "You will find strength in the Heart of Jesus. He is open for us; let us go to Him to draw the strength and courage we need."

One more quote: "When we participate in the Eucharist, the Lord is united with us and we with Him. That is why one single life, one single aim, should be our animating force…."

May St. Madeleine Sophie's love for the Eucharist enkindle our love and desire to receive Jesus into our hearts today and always.

No comments: