Search This Blog

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sunday we celebrate all Fathers!



This Sunday is Father's Day. I pray for all fathers! My own has been dead now for over nineteen years but is still alive in my heart. I had the good fortune to have a wonderful father who loved and cherished my mother and each of his children. He had a special tune he whistled to call us to come in to dinner or whenever. He also used to play the piano when he was ready to go somewhere and we were not yet ready and he had invented one tune that told us we had better hurry or we would be late. My Dad was also a good cook and made wonderful biscuits.

The first reading for this Sunday is from Exodus. God tells his people that "if you hearken to my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my special possession, dearer to me than all other people..."

The responsorial psalm tells us that "we are his people, the sheep of his flock." And then the Gospel begins by telling us that "At the sight of the crowds, Jesus' heart was moved with pity for them because they were troubled and abandoned, like sheep without a shepherd..."

Jesus is one with his Father. We belong to God; "we are his people, the sheep of his flock."

No comments: