Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Feast of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary



Happy Feast to Our Lady, patroness of the United States. I guess I always loved this feast because it was a wonderful holiday to look forward to when I was in grade school!
My youngest aunt took me shopping so that I could help her pick out gifts for the numerous nieces, nephews, and cousins of her boss. I always felt so grown up and she would take me to a downtown hotel for lunch after the shopping. We also saw the Christmas windows in the big department stores which were animated and so interesting that I could not wait to go back with my parents and younger sister to point out my favorite ones. I am sure that we went to Mass before anything as it was a holy day of obligation, but I must confess that I do not remember that part of the feast. However, I do remember the special holy day this was during my four years of boarding during high school with the Lily Procession being an outstanding memory of each year.
Now I feel that Mary is both friend and mother and has an interest in all that I do. She wants me to live in union with the Heart of Jesus and I think she is helping me to remember my phrase from the Litany each day. Today I am still on Sacred Heart of Jesus, to your fervent prayers, I unite myself. Our world is in such need of prayer - so is our Church, our government, our local and state politicians, etc.

No comments: