Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Preparing for Advent

In Miami, as soon as Thanksgiving is over, people begin to decorate for Christmas; not just the stores, but houses are decorated, Christmas trees adorned with lights and ornaments, and even some have Santas and snowmen in their yards! Remember, this is Miami where a sled and reindeer looks rather strange sitting on green grass! However, all these preparations for Christmas make me realize that Advent is just about eight days away and so what am I going to do and not do and how do I avoid the holiday stress and yet remember family and friends?

I read this morning in another blog, the following: "Every year I write a post called Do Less Be More. It's a phrase that's over-used and under performed, but I can't think of any other words that make better sense."
So, how am I to "Do Less, Be More"  this year? It will take this week to pray and discern before I can even try to answer that question, but I feel the Lord saying to me. "Why do you think you need to do so much that you rush around and end up certainly less peaceful and joyful? Just take it slowly and be with me and the essentials will get done." Then, I guess I need to think about what is really essential to prepare for His coming again this Christmas. Let us begin now so we are able to have a peaceful, prayerful Advent.
There is an Advent retreat at St. Thomas University on December 1 and I registered all my community for it  - I started these Advent retreats when I first came to the University and they are on the first Saturday of December. This year it is the eve of Advent! I also like the fact that this year we begin only at 9:30 and there will be a box lunch. I never thought about the box lunch (although I would bring my own) and let people go to the cafeteria where,of course, they talked. I think having the day in silence will be a great help to all.

No comments: