Search This Blog

Sunday, April 7, 2013

First Sunday after Easter

This is also now called Divine Mercy Sunday. Our newspaper has a full page add in the main section showing Jesus pointing to His heart from which flows graces as he promised , "a whole ocean of graces" for those who approach the Fount of His Mercy.
Jesus told St. Faustina (I never could get through her writings but like this quote): "When you approach the confessional, know this, that I Myself am waiting there for you. I am only hidden by the priest."
I think that the grace of the Sacrament of Reconciliation really does bring the Presence of Jesus and with it a deep peace that sometimes last for days. I like the face to face confession possibility now and would not go back to the "hiding behind a screen" - anyway, the gift of the Sacraments are ways that Jesus comes to us and we should thank for them at this season of the year.
As far as this Sunday's Gospel highlights both the institution of the Sacrament and Jesus great love for his friends. He does not reproach them for abandoning Him; He comes again when Thomas is present and tells him to come and put his fingers into the wounds of his hands and his hand into his side. Thomas believes and exclaims, "My Lord and My God" - Jesus ends by saying that blessed are those who believe without seeing.
I find this a very consoling Gospel.

No comments: