Search This Blog

Friday, January 15, 2016

My Guided Imagery Retreat

I  am supposed to be on vacation until I return to Miami on January 26th but I thought I could say something about the retreat which was a really good experience for me. Here is an idea of the schedule: we began on Saturday afternoon with a meeting of the nine retreatants and the three guides as our directors were called. I had a room in the main house looking right out on the ocean. The cook slept at the other end of the house. The others slept in a cabin that holds eight but the three guides slept across the street at Villa Maria del Mar, my sacred place where I have made retreats now for about 25 years.
We had Mass at 4:00 then, after dinner, we met with our guide. I had Sunday free until 3:00 when I saw my guide for direction every day and the last morning so that was 7 sessions of about a half hour. I also saw her Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8:30 to 10:00 in the morning for the guided imagery exercise. One lies down under a blanket and the guide, after a relaxation exercise plays music and you let your imagination go wherever it pleases and you say out loud whatever is happening. The guide writes it all down and then, after the music stops, you have the opportunity to review with her.all that happened. She has written everything you said so helps you remember.n then you go and write it all down and also list the feelings, sensations, images...Then you reflect on this and talk to your guide about it again in the afternoon time. We had prayer at 5:15 each evening and sharing from 7:30 to 8:30. It was a lovely group and the other eight had all made this kind of retreat and many knew each other so the sharing was deep and rich.

No comments: