Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

"I have seen the Lord"



John's Gospel today describes how Mary Magdalene stayed outside the tomb weeping because the Lord is not there and she does not know where they have taken him. Then, when Jesus comes and asks her why she is weeping, she still does not recognize him. He says her name and immediately she responds, but Jesus sends her to tell the others, "I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God." Mary went and announced to the disciples, "I have seen the Lord", and then reported what he had told her. 

Of course, they had trouble believing her and Peter and John run to the tomb to see for themselves. Still, it is a woman who first receives and gives the good news that Jesus is truly risen.

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us be glad and rejoice in it."

No comments: