Search This Blog

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Fifteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time




In today's Gospel, Mark tells us that Jesus "summoned the Twelve and began to send them out two by two and gave them authority over unclean spirits. He instructed them to take nothing for the journey but a walking stick - no food, no sack, no money in their belts. They were, however, to wear sandals but not a second tunic."

I always stop there and wonder what it means to "take nothing for the journey" - it certainly is a call to me as I look around my room to get rid of more things. I do not need all that I brought out with me, but there is a little voice  in my head, which is no doubt a vice, telling me I might need it. Jesus only allows a walking stick and sandals - both essential helps for the dusty trails that his Apostles were to walk. 
It is a Gospel to meditate on and then get rid of clutter! I find it easier to say than to do. But I will begin again to throw out...

No comments: