Search This Blog

Friday, October 11, 2019

Mary, Cause of our Joy



I was asked to review a book by David Richo: When Mary becomes Cosmic: A Jungian and Mystical Path to the Divine Feminine. I have not had time to do this yet, but did read the four or five pages under the title "Mary, Cause of our Joy". The author, whose books I like, gives several reasons why Mary is the cause of our joy. I will mention here only a few that most appeal to me. I am sure all the reasons are true, but these are most helpful for me at this time:
Mary is the cause of our joy because she brings Jesus into our world and He is our joy. It is impossible to be sad in the presence of Jesus ( I think this is true but maybe hard to believe) The idea comes from a quote from Edward Schillebeeckx"s Jesus: An Experiment in Christology.
Mary is also the cause of our joy because she is full of grace, "the free gift of spiritual energy and momentum that complements us and shows us the divine potential in ourselves. The cause of our joy is in us since wholeness/sanctity is in us, God within us: 'For what is our hope or joy or crown of boasting before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not you? (1 Thess 2:19)

That is enough for today. Tomorrow I will spend the day in San Rafael in a day of prayer and reflection with the Dominican Sisters. The day is planned by my spiritual director and the title is "The Gift and Power of the Imagination: A Taste of Guided Imagery and Music as a Spiritual Pathway. I go with three others from here so do pray for us.

No comments: