Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Feast of Mater


 Today we are celebrating in all the schools and communities of the Sacred Heart our very own feast of Mater Admirabilis. Every school has its shrine to Mater. Usually it is a life-size statue and children leave notes in her lap or the basketball before a game, etc. 

I cannot find the prayer I want at this moment, but I have one to share today from Henri Nouwen. The title is "With Open Hands" and it is one I often pray over:

To pray means to open your hands before God.

It means slowly relaxing the tension which squeezes your hands together

and accept your existence with an increasing readiness....


This acceptance not only means that you are ready to look at your own limitations,

but that you expect the coming of something new."

I still remember the thrill of going down to our dining room at boarding school in mid-afternoon and finding a "pink gouter" - pink lemonade, pink cupcakes, and even pink paper napkins!

Having been Sacristan at the Trinita dei Monti in Rome for the original Mater, has marked the rest of my life. She is so serene, so gentle, and so lost in God - a real example for me and for you!








No comments: