Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Agony in the Garden

Wednesday, March 28, 2007
It is time now to be with Jesus in his suffering. For me, the agony in the garden is one of the most powerful scenes in the Gospels and we are called to be with Jesus as he prays to his Father in anguish.
Jesus goes out, as was his custom, to the Mount of Olives, and the disciples follow him. Luke tells us that, after telling his disciples to pray, Jesus withdraws about a stone's throw from them and kneeling, he prayer, saying, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup away from me; still, not my will but yours be done." Jesus faces his passion and death alone.
Matthew and Mark both tell us that when Jesus reached a place called Gethsemane, he said to his disciples, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." He took with him Peter and James and John and began "to feel sorrow and distress." And he said to them, "My soul is sorrowful even to death. Remain here and keep watch with me."
Let us ask for the grace to stay with Jesus in his agony.

No comments: