Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ash Wednesday

I had saved two pictures to post today for Ash Wednesday, but the browse button is not working for me so I cannot find them. Maybe that is a sign that I am to start Lent in a very simple way. This prayer came to mind as a good way to begin:
Here I am Lord. This is my church.
It is composed of people like me.
We make it what it is.

It will be friendly, if I am.
Its pews will be filled, if I help to fill them.
It will be filled with music, if I sing.
It will radiate Christ's love, if I do.
It will pass on the faith, if I share mine.
It will involve many people, if I become involved in its work.
It will make generous gifts to many causes, if I am a generous giver.
It will bring other people to worship, if I invite them.
It will be a Church of loyalty and love, fearlessness and faith;
a church with a noble spirit, if I, who make it what it is, am filled with these.

Therefore, with the help of God, I shall dedicate myself to the task of being all the things I want my church to be.


I guess it all begins with my union with Christ and how I reveal his love to others.
May this Lent be a time of transformation for all of us. Courage! Let us begin!

1 comment:

Hammer212 said...

Yes Sr Helen we are Church. In my Jail ministry I like to remind the group that I am ministering to that because we are two or more gathered in His name, He is with us and we are Church. It really has a positive effect on the group. Thanks Mike