Search This Blog

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Mount of the Beatitudes


Here is the scene where Jesus preached the heart of his message: Blessed are the poor in spirit, those who mourn, the meek, those who hunger and thirst for justice, the merciful, the clean of heart, the peacemakers, and, finally, blessed are they who are persecuted, and insulted...Rejoice and be glad, for your reward witll be great in heaven.

The homily I heard for this Sunday began with the fact that to become a Christian is a long process. We are never fully there but on the way. Each of us can always live each of these Beatitudes more deeply; we are on a journey into the Heart of God. We must "Rejoice and be glad" as we are promised the kingdom of heaven.

The second reading from Paul's first letter to the Corinthians tells us that God chose the foolish of the world to shame the wise, the weak of the world to shame the strong, and the lowly and despised of the world, those who count for nothing, to reduce to nothing those who are something, so that no human being might boast before God. Well, I can rejoice in the fact that I know myself to be chosen by God; I know that I am foolish, weak, a nothing, and have nothing to boast about except that God loves me. When I was a novice and the Mistress of Novices had quite convinced me that I was Nothing, the Reverend Mother Vicar arrived for a visit. I tried to tell her how I was learning that I counted for nothing. She said to me with a twinkle in her eye, "Yes, dear, but you will soon be a consecrated nothing and that makes all the difference in the world." I have never forgotten that and it has helped me immensely at various moments in my life so I guess I am passing it on now.
We can do nothing without Christ, but with Him we can do all things!"

We have three days to prepare for Lent, such a special forty days. Which beatitude is Jesus calling me to strive for now?

No comments: