Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Jesus, lonely in the desert


I just discovered this painting by a British artist, Briton Riviere. It speaks to me of a Jesus who is tired, lonely, and waiting for nightfall. It is an image that will help me to stay with Jesus this Lent.
Well, to go back to Lenten Resolutions as today is "Mardi Gras" or "Fat Tuesday" and a day that often leads to an excess of eating and drinking. I told you that my resolutions would be based on three Scripture passages; actually, the third is taken from the first Lenten Preface. Here they are:
"Not by bread alone doth man live, but by every word that cometh forth from the mouth of God." From the Gospel, 1st Sunday of Lent.
I am taking this to help fast from bread and sweets during Lent and concentrate on reading the Word of God.

"When you pray, enter into your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret." Gospel for Ash Wednesday.
This will, I hope, make me more faithful to find the time for quiet prayer each afternoon.

"Each year you give us this joyful season when we prepare to celebrate the paschal mystery with mind and heart renewed. You give us a spirit of loving reverence for you, our Father, and of willing service to our neighbor." Lenten Preface
I am concentrating on joyful, willing service; I was happy to read that this is a joyful season and think that when we do things for others we should do them with joy!

I read yesterday that "we need Lent. In the midst of our busy lives, with worldly forces and temptations working hard to distract us from the call of Christ, the weeks of Lent are a gift. As we fast, pray, extend out hands to the poor, we are imitating Christ, joining ourselves more closely to him. He suffered and sacrificed; so do we. He lives in eternal joy; so will we, as we follow him in hope."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great insights for looking forward to the Lenten season. I like the idea of being willing and doing things with joy I also like the picture of Jesus in the desert but I am unable to see it real well I am wondering if you could put a link to a larger one Thanks Mike