Sunday, March 15, 2009
There are Ten Commandments
The first reading from Exodus tells us to remember God's commandments:
1. You shall not have other gods beside me.
2. You shalt not take the name of the Lord, your God, in vain.
3. Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.
4. Honor your father and your mother.
5. Thou shalt not kill.
6. You shalt not commit adultery.
7. You shalt not steal.
8. You shalt not bear false witness.
9. You shalt not covet your neighbor's house.
10. You shalt not covet your neighbor's wife or anything that belongs to him.
The first three are about God and it seems to me that we pay less attention to them. For instance, how often do we examen outselves about how we keep holy the sabbath? Or what about the first commandment and the idols I find in my life? These first three might be more important in God's eyes than we realize. We tend to sort of pass over them quickly to look at our sins against the other seven.
There is plenty to reflect upon as we keep holy the sabbath!