Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Feast of St. Bartholomew


Today is the Feast of Saint Bartholomew. Is Bartholomew the same person that John's Gospel calls Nathanael? It would seem so. We know from Matthew, Mark, Luke, and the Acts of the Apostles that Bartholomew was counted as one of the Twelve Apostles. Therefore, we know that he left all to follow Jesus. He was chosen by Jesus to be a special friend and to continue the mission of Jesus. He was faithful to the end as tradition has Bartholomew a martyr, one who gave his life for Jesus.

If Philip took Nathanael to Jesus, I suspect that he was always grateful. He did not think anything good could come from Nazareth but Philip said, "Come and see" and so he went. Jesus calls him a "true child of Israel" and Nathanael asks him, "How did you know me?" How does Jesus know me? What does he say to me when I approach Him today?

No comments: