Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Saint Louis



I grew up in St. Louis, Missouri and somehow had devotion to Saint Louis, King of France and I loved the huge bronze statue of him sitting on his horse outside of the Art Museum at the top of Art Hill in Forest Park. August 25 was my father's birthday and so it was a special day and marked the last party of the summer as after Dad's birthday we had to get ready for school. Now, school has started as we no longer wait for Labor Day to begin the new academic year.

Someone sent this to me today and I like it and want to pass the quote on to you:
"Today, more than ever, we need to recognize that the gift of solitude is not ordered to the acquisition of strange contemplative powers, but, first of all, to the recovery of one’s deep self, and the renewal of an authenticity which is presently twisted out of shape by the pretentious routines of a disordered togetherness."
- Contemplation in a World of Action - Merton

No comments: