Search This Blog

Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Father Waits for our Return



This Sunday's Gospel is about the Father of the Prodigal, the Shepherd that leaves 99 sheep to go look for the lost one, and the woman who rejoices when she finally finds her lost coin. The short form omits the story of the Prodigal son whose Father is out watching for his return and then gives a party to welcome him. I fear that I identify sometimes with the older son who resents all the fuss for the one who has left home and lived rather badly. He thinks that he has been there faithfully fulfilling his duties and why is the party not being given for him? I think the Good Shepherd is always looking for the lost sheep and knows that the others are safe. It is helpful to realize that I am often the lost sheep and Jesus is there to rescue me and bring me home.

No comments: