Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My flowing stream


Mechtild of Magdeburg has this to say about how the soul speaks to God:

Lord, you are my lover,
My longing,
My flowing stream,
My sun,
And I am your reflection.


Here is another bit from Mechtild of Magdeburg, both translated by Oliver Davies and published in Women in Praise of the Sacred: 43 Centuries of Spiritual Poetry by Women, edited by Jane Hirshfield:

And God said to the soul:
I desired you before the world began.
I desire you now
As you desire me.
And where the desires of two come together
There love is perfected.


I guess we should all take time to reflect on how God is telling us now that we are desired and were desired as individuals before the world began.

One line I love from Mechtild is
I cannot dance, O Lord,
Unless you lead me.
If you wish me to leap joyfully,
Let me see You dance and sing-

Then I will leap into Love-...


and the last line is "There I will stay with You, whirling."

No comments: