Search This Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Our Lady of Sorrows


This is a special day for me as I feel that Our Lady is so close to us in our sorrows and in our joys. The seven sorrows of Our Lady are named as: Simeon's prophecy at the presentation of Jesus in the temple, the flight into Egypt, the disappearance of the boy Jesus in Jerusalem, the road to Calvary, the crucifixion, the removal from the cross, and the entombment. I am sure there were many more and continue to be as she suffers with us - every time a son is killed, or a child dies, or a spouse, parent, etc. Mary is with us and her presence is always a consoling one. I think I have mentioned before how often I felt her presence with me in Chile when I could not yet speak the language and was homesick.

I think, then, of Mary being with us in all our sorrows. I guess this feast has been special to many through the centuries and Our Lady of Sorrows gives us courage to face whatever is hard in life. She stood at the cross. She wept, but she remained standing at the foot of the Cross to be close to her Son, Jesus. She now helps us to stay close to Him. Mary is my Mother and so is interested in every detail of my life, but above all she wants to bring me closer to Jesus.

No comments: