Search This Blog

Saturday, December 29, 2012

"Real Thirst"

Someone sent me a book of poetry; "Real Thirst: Poetry of the Spiritual Journey" with Peoms and translations by Ivan M. Granger. For me, besides finding some really deep poems that lead into prayer and pondering, the short biographies of each of the poets are a treasure. There are also some marvelous notes at the end of the book. Now, I was not knowledgeable about many of the poets, including the author, but after going through the book I feel I know some of the Indian and other poets. Here is an excerpt from Tukaram who lived from 1608-1649; he was born in the western region of India to a lower caste family. Here is his poem:

All men to me are god-like Gods!
My eyes no longer see
vice or fault.

Life on this suffering earth
is now endless delight;
the heart at rest and full,
overflowing.

In the mirror, the face and its reflection
watch each other;
different, but one.

And, when the stream pours into the ocean...
no more stream!

Ivan has many poem in the first part of the book. Here is one:

real thirst
draws rainwater
from an empty sky.

I may continue to share with you from this book, but you can also go to www.poetry-chaikhana.com  and find out more about Poetry Chaikhana. I am going there now. Chaikhana is a teahouse! Read the blog.

No comments: