Search This Blog

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Feast of the Presentation of the Lord & End of Christmas Season

I always like this picture as it reminds me of a place where I used to go with a friend and take a picnic lunch. We lived in St. Louis and Forest Park was a safe place where children could go and play and no one ever worried about us as we did not seem to have any crime in that part of the city. We would walk over and there was a big rock in the middle of the pool at the top that we would manage to climb up to sit on without getting wet and then eat our lunch while watching the water bubble over the rocks as it ran down hill. I do not know what happened to it then but maybe it went under the road and emptied into the lagoon. The memory is of being cool and cosy on our rock and enjoying each other and our lunch as I have always loved picnics.
Well, now that the Christmas season is over, I need to put away my Infant Jesus and Christmas candle, but I hate to do it. I shall go through my Christmas cards before throwing them away as I do dedicate one day to pray for each who has remembered me at Christmas. A friend gave me that suggestion years ago and she took one card a day. I find it easier to just mark my calendar but the important thing is the prayer.
I love the Feast of the Presentation of Jesus in the Temple. Candles are also blessed on this day. My mother kept the blessed candles and whenever there was a storm, she would take them out and light them and feel safe. I think we have lost some of our faith in these sacramentals today, but I am glad I remember so many helps that the Church provides still such as holy water,
This is not what I intended to write today, but guess it will do but I hope all go back to read the Gospel for this feast.

No comments: