Search This Blog

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Month of Mary



I grew up thinking that May was the month to honor the Blessed Virgin Mary. We did this by our May altars, putting fresh flowers in front of her statue (every classroom, I think, had a May altar when I was in grade school), and then taking part in the May crowning of a statue of Our Lady that took place at the end of the month. Since my birthday was the last day of May and always a Feast of Mary, the month has been special for me as far back as I can remember. The title for the Feast of Our Lady on May 31 changed several times. First it was the Feast of Our Lady, Mediatrix of All Grace, then it was the Queenship of Mary, and now it is the Visitation of Mary to Elizabeth.

On this first day of May, we also have the Feast of St. Joseph, Worker. I am beginning to read Father Philippe's book on The Mystery of Joseph. It is a profound study and I am just starting it.


May is also the month when we celebrate St. Madeleine Sophie Barat, the Foundress of the Society of the Sacred Heart. I like it, too, when Pentecost falls within the month of May. In our part of the world, it is Spring with all the flowers in bloom and one wants to go around singing just for joy. In Chile, the month of Mary is November 8 to December 8 and the churches are packed every night during this month.

The book that I am reading and pondering is Sandra Schneiders' Jesus Risen in Our Midst.
Mostly, I am just enjoying finding the Lord in my daily life and I am grateful for all the times I do recognize Him in people, events, circumstances, and the little attentions that help me to share in His joy.
I hope you are finding Jesus appearing often during these days.

No comments: