Search This Blog

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Third Sunday of Advent - Shout for joy!

The Liturgy for the Third Sunday of Advent urges us to shout for joy. It is Gaudete Sunday and the first reading begins:

Shout for joy, O daughter Zion!
Sing joyfully, O Israel!
Be glad and exult with all your heart,
O daughter Jerusalem!
The LORD has removed the judgment against you
he has turned away your enemies;
the King of Israel, the LORD, is in your midst,
you have no further misfortune to fear.
On that day, it shall be said to Jerusalem:
Fear not, O Zion, be not discouraged!
The LORD, your God, is in your midst,
a mighty savior;
he will rejoice over you with gladness,
and renew you in his love,
he will sing joyfully because of you,
as one sings at festivals.

The responsorial psalm: 'Cry out with joy and gladness: for among you is the great and Holy One of Israel.

These make me want to cry out with joy. Then, in the second reading, Paul tells us: :Rejoice in the Lord always. I shall say it again: rejoice! Your kindness should be known to all. The Lord is near. Have no anxiety at all, but it everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make you requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Then comes the Gospel and John the Baptist is asked "What should we do?" And he tells them.
And he tells us. We just need to be silent and listen.
I have just discovered to my chagrin (a word that I never use but need today) that some of my readers have been leaving comments and I am so grateful that I have found them. I guess I just had not been looking for them and I shall certainly make a point of looking from now on as I love to get feedback. Thanks to all who have made comments; I have just had a feast reading them! 

No comments: