Search This Blog

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Divine Mercy Sunday



The second Sunday after Easter is now "Divine Mercy" Sunday. The responsorial psalm is taken from Psalm 118 and the response is: "Give thanks to the Lord for he is good, his love is everlasting."
It begins, "Let the house of Israel say, 'His mercy endures forever.'"

It is a consoling feast and I love the Gospel as Jesus comes to the Apostles on the first day of the week and says to them, "Peace be with you." Then He showed them his hands and his side. He also tells them: "As the Father has sent me, so I send you."

He breathed on them and said: "Receive the Holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them and whose sins you retain are retained." Jesus gives us the Sacrament of Reconciliation so we may always find His Mercy and live in peace and joy.

Thomas was not with the others so John tells us how Jesus comes again a week later when Thomas is present and how Jesus tells Thomas to "Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving but believe." Then Thomas said, "My Lord and my God!"

So many of us make this same act of faith at the Consecration in the Eucharist each time we go to Mass.


No comments: