Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday calls us to return to the Lord.

The first reading for Ash Wednesday begins:”Even now, says the Lord, return to me with your whole heart - rend your hearts, not your garments.”

Even now – the Lord says it is not too late. He calls me to return to Him with my whole heart. Come back! He waits for me as the father waited to embrace his prodigal son.
He seeks me and invites me to return with my whole heart. How fickle is my heart! God wants an undivided heart – my love, whole and entire. If I really love God, it must be whole-heartedly. No dividing of affections. No craving for pleasures, comforts, or other diversions. God alone is what I seek. He is my joy, my comfort, my all.
Lord, you have made us for Yourself and our hearts are restless until they rest in You.

As I begin these forty days of Lent may I follow you with all my heart.

No comments: