Search This Blog

Monday, February 26, 2007

A Prayer for Lent

This prayer is taken from the Campus Renew book for the Sunday before Lent but I think I need to keep it before me as it seems a good prayer for Lent.

Dearest Lord,
Teach me to be forgiving, even when I don’t want to be.

Teach me not to judge another unless I have walked a mile in their shoes.

Please grant me forgiveness for all that I have done
that has injured another person or relationship. Amen

I hate to feel judged by others, yet often catch myself judging others by their actions without knowing anything of their possible reasons, motivations, needs, etc. I will try to pray “teach me not to judge” often today.

Will I be one of the sheep on the right?

Jesus tells the parable of separating the ‘sheep from the goats’ – those who heeded the needs of others will be on the right and hear “Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty, and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.” Jesus wants me to remember that whatever I do for others, I do for Him. If I really realized that truth my life would be one of seeking to serve others.

No comments: