Search This Blog

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Hospitality

Today I woke up asking myself if I had the virtue of hospitality. I think it means welcoming Jesus in all and then treating each as if she/he were really Jesus. I think my reflections today are triggered by an article I read on Spiritual Direction and Hospitality. There was a quote from Rumi and the line that stayed with me is "This being human is a guest-house" - my online course on the Monks, Mendicants, and Mystics of the Middle Ages began with the Rule of St. Benedict. Hospitality was a great virtue for the monks; at that time we did not really have hospitals, hospices, and hotels, but the monasteries received all in need and without charge.
When we look at Jesus, we see the virtue of hospitality from the beginning. When asked where he lived, he said "Come and see" and John and Andrew went and stayed with Him that day. He welcomed all. He prepared the Passover supper for His disciples with care and began by washing the feet of each. He told the stories of the Good Samaritan and the Prodigal Son - both examples of hospitality. How do I welcome all that come to me? Lord, help me to see You in all who come today and hurry to greet them and give Your love to them.

No comments: