Search This Blog

Monday, February 19, 2007

some Thoughts on Prayer

People expect nuns to pray, but they often want to know why I take time for prayer. Prayer is an expression of our relationship with God. The more I pray, the easier it is for God is always present. Sometimes I may feel that God is absent but the very desire in my heart to find Him shows me that He is present and giving me this longing to seek Him."When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me." (Jer 29:13)The best way to pray is the way I pray best. There is no one way and prayer changes as our relationship with God deepens. When two people have been together for a long time, words are not necessary.Thomas Merton has a word of wisdom that has helped me. He asks: "How does an apple ripen? It just sits in the sun." That is a good description of contemplative prayer.

No comments: