Search This Blog

Friday, August 17, 2007

Feast of St. Jane de Chantal


Today is the feast of the St. Jane de Chantal who was widowed at age 28 with six children to raise. Later, with St. Francis de Sales, she founded the Visitation Order. She had established about 85 convents of the Visitation before her death. This is a picture by an unknown artist and is not correct theologically because the Heart cannot be separated from Christ; the Heart of Jesus means the whole person but stresses his love and interior dispositions. The heart is the center of the person.

I went to the Academy of the Visitation for six years as a child. It was there that I began to love Jesus under the title "Sacred Heart" so that for me the Sacred Heart was Jesus, the Son of God, who came to reveal His Father's love for us. St. Margaret Mary was a Visitation nun; Jesus showed Himself to her and told her how much He loved us by received only coldness and ingratitude from many in return for his ardent love.
I learned to trust the Heart of Jesus and to pray:
"Sacred Heart of Jesus, I implore
that I may love You more and more."

It makes a good walking prayer or driving prayer as my car has become a place of prayer.

No comments: