Search This Blog

Saturday, September 8, 2007

The Birthday of Mary


Today we celebrate the nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. We really do not know the date or the place of her birth, but from the early centuries we have celebrated it. She is the Mother of Jesus and it is fitting that we celebrate her birthday. She is also the mother of each of us. What gift can I give Mary for her birthday?

Just a year before my mother's death, I had a surprise brunch for her. My sister picked her up and brought her; all the rest of the family were in the living room in my community house. I talked her into coming in just for a minute. She thought we were going to brunch as it was the Sunday before her birthday. She was really surprised and touched and told me later that in all the years that she had been entertaining the family for every holiday, no one had ever given her a birthday party! she had always given us birthday parties but had not had any as a child.

I wonder how Jesus celebrated his mother's birthday? And what kind of celebration must be going on in Heaven today?

No comments: