Search This Blog

Sunday, September 9, 2007

"My soul longs for you, my God..."


Like a deer that longs for running streams, my soul longs for you, my God. My soul is thirsting for the living God. (Psalm 41:2-3)

This was the Communion antiphon for the Sunday liturgy that I returned to in prayer this morning. We do thirst for God; it is a thirst that continues and increases. This thirst for God is prayer. We long for God because God longs for us. It is God who gives us this thirst, this desire for him. The more I long for God, the more capacity I have to receive him.

Jesus still says to us today, "Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and let anyone who believes in me drink."(Jn 7:37-38)
St. Augustine describes this thirst as You have made us for yourself, O God, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you.
Jesus is the source of living water. Only he can quench the heart's thirst for God.
May every drop of water today remind me of my thirst for God!

No comments: