Search This Blog

Sunday, September 23, 2007

"To dig I am not able..."


The parable of the unjust steward is another one of the parables that is difficult to understand. That is why it is a parable. We need to struggle with the meaning. Jesus seems to praise the unjust and dishonest steward because of his ingenuity. He really took stock of his situation and decided he had to provide for himself because, as he tells us, to dig I am not able and to beg I am ashamed. How am I using my own ingenuity to make sure that I will be welcomed into the Kingdom of God?
The shorter form of the Gospel has Jesus telling his disciples: The person who is trustworthy in very small matters is also trustworthy in great ones; and the person who is dishonest in very small matters is also dishonest in great ones.
He goes on to say that no one can serve two masters. Yet, we keep trying to do so in various ways.
Lord, come to my assistance. Make haste to help me.
Pray for the grace to be found trustworthy in the small things today!

No comments: