Search This Blog

Friday, September 21, 2007

Wise Women

Today the computer is acting up and strange colors appear. I was going to write on Matthew as today is his feast and I love his immediate response to Jesus. Jesus says, "Follow me" and Matthew gets up and follows him! Then, as Luke tells us, he gives a banquet - was this a farewell party? He invites Jesus and his disciples, but also he has his own co-workers, that tax collectors and sinners. That really bothers the Pharisees who ask the disciples why Jesus eats with tax collectors and sinners. Jesus heard them and said, "Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. go and learn the meaning of the words, I desire mercy, not sacrifice. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.

Anyway, since I did not write my blog before going to my water exercise this morning, I want to share with you the wisdom of the women I meet in the pool. While we spend an hour doing water exercises together, we solve the problems of the world. I am amazed at the collective wisdom found in the swimming pool. Today, as tomorrow is the Day of Atonement for the Jewish women, we talked about the fasting tomorrow and how good it is that so many practices of their religion center around the family; we talked about the importance of keeping one day a week for the Lord and not rushing around to shop and work on that day and how we have lost the quiet time now that the stores are open on Sundays; we moved on to speak about the need for peace and how it begins with each of us. In between, there is always practical advice about cooking, insurance, medical advice, and travel tips. Collectively there is a wealth of information and I wonder why we do not have more women in politics to make the world a better place.

No comments: