Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Christmas Weekday


It is good to be reminded that the Christmas season lasts until February 2. It is a time of joy. The opening prayer in the Liturgy is a good one to reflect on today:
"God, light of all nations, give us the joy of lasting peace, and fill us with your radiance as you filled the hearts of our fathers."

May we all have the joy of lasting peace and be filled with the radiance of God!

The first reading reminds us, "Beloved, if God so loved us, we must all love one another...God is love, and whoever remains in love remains in God and God in her/him."

The Gospel is one of my favorites. Jesus sends his disciples out in the boat while he dismisses the crowd and goes off to the mountain to pray. The wind becomes so strong that the disciples in the boat are having a hard time; they see Jesus walking on the water and are terrified. Jesus says, "Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid." How often has Jesus said the same to me? Now, I want to be on the mountain with Jesus in prayer, but I am also willing to be in the boat with the wind against me. What is important is the trust I have in Jesus. This gives me courage.

No comments: