Search This Blog

Monday, January 28, 2008

Gratitude


Somedays I just wake up thankful. It is not because it is the feast of St. Thomas of Aquinas, although I rejoice with the Dominicans today. I also remember that Harvey Egan in a book on Christian Mysticism said that from the time of the apostles until St. Thomas Aquinas, the greatest theologians were frequently mystics. I think we should expect theologians today, to also be mystics. It is the mystic who makes more explicit the basic experience of God that haunts every human heart. And mystics are grateful people because they know they are loved by God.
I am grateful for the world and all that is in it.

I want to express my gratitute by an adaptation of a prayer by Patricia Strong taken from A Grateful Heart:
Thankful may I ever be for everything that God bestows.
Thankful for the joys and sorrows, for the blessings and the blows.
Thankful for the wisdom gained through hardships and adversity.
Thankful for the undertones as well as for the melody.

Thankful may I ever be for God's benefits both great and small-
And may I never fall in gratitude for that divinest gift of all:
The love of sisters and family and friends that I have known,,,
O may the first prayer of the day be always one of thankfulness. Amen.

No comments: