Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2008

St. John Bosco


St. John Bosco was born in Italy in 1815 and ordained in 1841. His love for children led him to form the Salesian Society named after St. Francis de Sales. He taught poor boys and had classes for them in the evenings.
I spent a couple of weeks during the summers after seventh and eighth grade with some of my classmates at Camp Don Bosco. There I learned how to dive off the springboard in different ways; we rode horseback through the woods, took long hikes with our cabin counselor, learned new crafts, and did all the usual camp things. It was the first time away from my parents for more than a night or two. I was too excited to be homesick, but looked forward to mail-call each day. I have not thought about that camp or some of the people I met there until now, but I know that it gave me devotion to St. John Bosco that has lasted 65 years!

Mark's Gospel today contains this powerful passage: "Take care what you hear. The measure with which you measure will be measured out to you, and still more will be given to you."
God loves a generous giver!

No comments: