Search This Blog

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Feast of St. Augustine


Augustine was born in North Africa and became a famous bishop and doctor of the Church. He lived in the 4th and 5th centuries and successfully defended the Church against heresies. His mother, Monica, prayed for his conversion for years; after he was converted, he was made bishop of Hippo. He is still a great influence today as he left so many writings. The most famous is his Confessions.

I must confess that when only a freshman in college I talked the Dean into allowing me to take an advanced Latin class; it was on the Confessions of St. Augustine and I was really not a great Latin student. I had the English translation and would get up very early on Sunday mornings to work out the translations I was expected to do for the week. I managed to do well in that course as I was very interested. The next Latin class was really tough as the same Dean taught it and she would put the English on the board for Pliny, Tacitus, etc. and we were to put it into Latin! I am not sure how I managed to get through that!! Now, I wish I had studied more Latin, but I am grateful for those college courses.!

No comments: