Search This Blog

Monday, August 25, 2008

Feast of St. Louis


Louis IX was not only a holy king, but one of the great kings of France. He had a reputation for fairness and integrity; he was kind, just, and merciful. He was also the devoted father of eleven children and a good husband. He reigned for 44 years.

I am from St. Louis, Missouri and love the bronze statue of St. Louis on horseback that sits in front of the Art Museum in Forest Park. I think it is still there. It overlooks the city and seemed to be protecting us. We lived only a few blocks from the park and the Art Museum was one of our favorite places. I am afraid that the mummies in the Egyptian room held more attraction for us than the paintings; we also found it a good place for hide-and-seek.

Besides being the feast of St. Louis, today is my Dad's birthday and I suspect he is still celebrating it in heaven with my mother and his own parents and five sisters and my brother, George. We always had a family party on the 25th with a big birthday cake; it was the last celebration of the summer. Now, school begins early and it will be the first day of class at the University today and I will be back at work after my wonderful summer. Because of my retreat I have a great desire to return and share God's love with all my co-workers and any students that I can help today.
The Communion antiphon is from Lamentations 3:25: "The Lord is good to those who hope in him, to those who are searching for his love."
We are all searching for his love! I am grateful that God is always loving us!

No comments: