Search This Blog

Sunday, October 19, 2008

"I am the Lord, there is no other..."


The coast of Iona in Scotland reminds me of the first reading for this Sunday from Isaiah 45: 1,4-6 - Thus says the Lord..."I have called you by your name, giving you a title, though you knew me not. I am the Lord and there is no other, there is no God besides me."
I remember as a novice thinking that since God is all and everything else is nothing, I could just live that truth and not need anything else. God is all, but I keep forgetting that nothing else counts so the first reading reminds us that "I am the Lord, and there is no other, there is no God besides me."

Trip reflections continued: When I reached Scotland, I felt so at home and had the joy of meeting so many lovely people. The RSCJ who met me at the airport was one; she had made a sign with my name on it as we did not yet know each other. She had been in Peru and so had I so we began an instant friendship and talked for hours. She is a wonderful hospitality person for Edinburgh. She gave me a tour of the city and took me to RoseHill, our retirement house where I had two old friends. One is the Superior and was with me in Rome in 1960 when we made final profession together; we went over the list of our group that had been given the name "Courage Apostolique" or Apostolic Courage. The other friend had lived with me while we were studying and is now 92 years old and a saint with a great sense of humor. It was good to see her again and I wish I lived as single-hearted as she does for I think her life has always been lived for God alone. She was a missionary in Africa before I knew her. One last reflection on that day was how happy all the nuns looked. We were there for lunch and tea and had time to pray in their lovely Chapel. I am now quite addicted to tea and scones!

No comments: