Search This Blog

Saturday, October 25, 2008

"Living the truth in love..."


Paul tells us in today's reading from Ephesians that "grace was given to each of us according to the measure of God's gift." He then tells us that "living the truth in love, we should grow in every way into him who is the head, Christ, from whom the whole Body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament...brings about the Body's growth and builds itself up in love." That is a long quote but one that helps us to understand the Mystical Body of Christ and our part in it. I especially like the phrase "living the truth in love."
I guess that I want to do whatever I am called to do, to use the gift I have been given with joy. Joy changes a dull task into an exciting one. Try today to do the most mundane tasks with joy and see the difference it makes! We are all gifted by God so let us rejoice and be glad!
Trip continued:
The picture is of the isle of Mull. It is time to finish up my trip to Iona. Before I do that though I need to say again how really beautiful Scotland is and Mull is a photographer's delight. I found an atmosphere of holiness in the Iona Abbey, but that same atmosphere is in the air in the countryside on Mull. I did want to share though, one last experience at the Abbey on Iona. Jenny and I had arrived early so we had the Church to ourselves the hour before the first tour. I found a corner to pray. After a time, having been lost in the atmosphere of prayer that permeates the church, I looked up and was startled to see someone sitting in the corner across from me. She was so still that I thought I must be seeing either a ghost or a statue but then realized that it was one of the Iona community who had also chosen a quiet nook for prayer. I do not usually think of ghosts, but such was the mood that it seemed plausible to find one sitting across from me!!
The Isle on Mull is quite visible from Iona. I loved looking across the sea knowing that it was the same sea that so many monks contemplated in the 6th century and maybe in doing so received their vocations to be missionaries to the rest of Scotland and to Europe. How did so many even find Iona to be formed by Colomba?
We had lunch overlooking the Bay of Martyrs, returned to the Nunnery for a bit and then got caught in the rain on the way back to the House of Prayer so were content to stay in with our tea and scones. Wednesday morning found us on the return journey with our hearts burning within us!

No comments: